Before registering and applying, see if you meet the eligibility criteria listed below. Households under the same lease are only allowed to submit one application. Duplicate applications will be denied and may cause delays in determining your household's eligibility for help or be considered as fraud.
Eligibility and RequirementsRenter households must have an income no more than 80 percent of Area Median Income (AMI) AND one or more members of the household must have either:
- qualified for unemployment benefits, OR
prove that due to COVID-19 they:
- receive less income,
- have higher costs/bills, or
- have another other financial hardship.
- are at risk of experiencing homelessness or their housing is uncertain, which may include a past due utility/rent notice or eviction notice, OR
- live in unsafe or unhealthy housing conditions.
- You must be a City of Austin Full Purpose Jurisdiction renter, without any homeownership interest in your home. The address on your application must be the main place where you live. Click the COA Map and find your address if you are unsure if you live in the Jurisdiction.
Information to Gather Before Submitting Your Application
- Ask your landlord if they have registered for a landlord account at Austin.covidrenthelp.org and have a Referral Code. If they have not, encourage them to register. If they have, include the Referral Code in your application. This will speed up eligibility processing, but it is not required for you to submit your application.
- Your email address (to create an email account, go to gmail.com), and phone number.
The following information for each household member:
- Full name, date of birth, gender, race, ethnicity, relationship to the head of household, social security number, alien registration number, individual taxpayer identification number (if you have one).
- The household's current address and mailing address.
- Each household member’s current gross monthly income (before taxes or deductions are taken out) and the types of income.
- Your landlord’s name, email address, and phone number.
- If you would like the RENT Program to refer you to Austin Energy’s utility assistance program, gather information about your utility needs, including your account number, and any past due utility amounts. If eligible, your information will be sent to Austin Energy’s program.
Did you apply to the prior City of Austin RENT Program between August - December 2020?You still need to apply for this Program to get benefits but go back to the main page and click the Log In button to use your previous account to apply for this Program. If you do not remember your username or password, there are options available on that page to help you get this information.
Renter DocumentationYou do not need to send any documents to apply. However, if you claim that a member of your household has qualified for unemployment benefits for at least the 90 consecutive dates before you apply, you will need to submit the unemployment benefit letter after you apply to be considered for this priority group. Similarly, if you report a history of prior homelessness in your application, you may be asked to submit information about this if the program cannot verify this.
You will be contacted with information on how to submit this documentation if your application is selected for eligibility review; however, it may be helpful to start gathering your documents.
Please refer to the FAQs for more information.