The City of Austin RENT Assistance Program Application Process OPENS
Monday, March 15, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The City of Austin and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) have launched the Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants (RENT) Assistance Program. The program is for income-eligible Austin renters that live within the City of Austin Full Purpose Jurisdiction and have been financially impacted by COVID-19. The program will provide direct rent relief of $25 million between March 15, 2021 and December 31, 2021, or until all funds are spent.
If you need help in applying, you may call 512-488-1397 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except for observed holidays. The RENT Assistance program receives and accepts Video Relay Service (VRS) calls from people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing. If you speak Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Burmese, Urdu, or Vietnamese, you will be prompted to select your primary language and leave a voicemail. Your call will be returned within 24-48 hours with an interpreter on the line.
For other Housing Resources and information, visit austintexas.gov/housing-resources.
Note: Applicants assisted with ERA2 funds may certify that they were financially affected by or during the COVID pandemic.
- What is the City of Austin RENT Assistance Program?
- What are the eligibility criteria for the City of Austin RENT Assistance Program?
- Is there a maximum amount of rent that will be paid by the Program?
- When will the program begin and when is my deadline to apply?
- How can I apply for the City of Austin RENT funds?
- Will some applications get priority?
How do I know if an address is within the City of Austin’s Full Purpose Jurisdiction?
- Who receives RENT funds, and how will the funds be sent?
- What do I do if I have more questions about the RENT Assistance Program?
- How do I fill out the application?
- If I need help in submitting my application or uploading documents, what resources are available?
- Is the application available in languages other than English?
What information do I need when submitting my application?
- If I received rent help through the last City of Austin RENT Assistance Program, can I apply for rent help again?
- If I am currently homeless or staying temporarily with a friend, family member, or in a series of other people's homes, am I eligible for RENT funds?
- Do I have to be a US citizen or legal resident to apply?
- If I receive federal housing subsidy from another federal program (Public Housing, PBRA, Section 8 Tenant-Based and Project-Based Voucher Program), can I get RENT assistance funds?
- Is there a cost to apply for the RENT Assistance Program?
- Can my landlord apply for me?
- Can someone else apply for me?
- How many applications may I submit?
- How will I know that my application was submitted?
- What happens if I provide untrue or incomplete information on my application?
- How do I check the status of my application?
- When will the random selections of applications occur for eligibility reviews?
- If my application was not chosen in the random selection process, what is next?
- Will randomly selected applicants be notified that their application was chosen for eligibility review?
- Which documents are renters required to provide to determine eligibility for assistance?
- Which income documents can be used to prove current monthly gross income?
- How do I upload documents once my application is selected for eligibility review?
- What does the applicant eligibility review process look like for randomly selected applications?
- What if my landlord refuses to participate in the Program?
- What happens if an applicant is determined ineligible for the RENT Assistance Program?
- If I am a renter and I receive RENT funds, is it counted as income?
- After I have been approved for coverage of past due, current, and future rent; how do I show that I have a continued need for rent assistance?
- How do I let my renters know about the RENT assistance program?
- As a landlord, why should I sign up for a landlord account in the Emergency Rental Assistance Portal (ERAP)?
- I am a landlord with multiple properties, or I own/manage multiple entities with different EIN numbers; do I need to register for more than one sign-in account in the Emergency Rental Assistance Portal (ERAP)?
- Multiple staff members may need to access our landlord ERAP account for our renters. What do we do?
- I am a landlord with a renter that may qualify for assistance, what do I do?
- What documentation does the landlord need to provide to get RENT funds on behalf of a renter?
- How can I check the status of my renter’s application?
- Does the landlord have to accept the RENT assistance payment?
- What if I do not have access to bank account information?
- When will RENT assistance payments be sent to the landlord?
- How will I be notified when payments are sent?
- Will I receive a 1099 for rent assistance funds received?
- If I receive federal housing subsidy from another federal program (Public Housing, Section 8 Tenant-Based and Project Based Voucher Program) on behalf of my renter, can I get RENT assistance funds?